IG Wealth Management Walk for Alzheimer’s Online – Holden
Our world has changed due to COVID-19, but one thing holds true – the Alzheimer Society of Alberta and Northwest Territories remains committed to supporting people living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia and those who care for them.
We are asking you to get creative and Walk Your Way so we can continue to offer the vital programs and services that are needed for people living with dementia in our communities. We are challenging our walkers to be as creative as possible – and have fun – while respecting current public health and safety guidelines!
What’s in Store for 2021?
- Creative walk ideas to get everyone moving in a safe and fun way using the Walk Your Way handbook.
- A virtual closing ceremony broadcast on Sunday, May 30 at 4 p.m. (MDT) where we will share stories from walk participants across the country and celebrate together. Broadcast will be available on our Society’s Facebook page.
- Prizes for the top three individual fundraisers across Alberta and the Northwest Territories:
- 1st place: Choice between a BBQ, TV, or iPad (up to $500.00 value)
- 2nd place: Choice between an Apple TV, camper’s bundle*, or reader’s bundle* (up to $300.00 value)
- 3rd place: $100 gift card to a local restaurant
*NEW* Step Counter
- Login to your Participant Centre
- Find the step tracker near the top of the Participant Centre and click “update your steps”.
- A small window will pop up. You will be required to enter your “step goal” that you would like to reach. Don’t worry, you can update this anytime and we encourage you to increase it if you beat it!
- Once you enter your goal, you can then enter the steps you have taken under “steps taken”. Please note, that every time you add your steps in the tracker, you must input your TOTAL number of steps. For example, if you walked 5,500 steps in one day, but 10,500 overall, you would input 10,500 into the tracker.
- Click “save” to save your step entries. When updating your steps, remember to add your overall total steps, not just steps from one session.
- It may take a few minutes, but your personal page will update with your step progress.
Join the Nationwide Movement
We cannot wait to see the creative ways you are getting involved with the 2021 IG Wealth Management Walk for Alzheimer’s Online. Tag us on social media (@dementiaab_nt) and use #IGWalkForAlz and let us know why you Walk for a chance to be featured!
What do you do?
- Register to walk! It is free to participate, but we encourage fundraising if you can!
- Be creative – consider how you can enjoy your walk at home. We have several silly ideas to make it more fun!
- Create some buzz online ahead of time – take a video of yourself walking (or doing something else active that’s creative and fun) and share it on social media to help us encourage others to participate. Tag us in your videos (@dementiaab_nt) and use the hashtag #IGWalkForAlz to show your support. Issue a challenge in your video to others in your life to do the same!
- Ask anyone who can to pledge a donation towards your walk.
Here are some ideas to Walk Your Way!
- Be creative and have fun at home. Decide what your walk looks like to you – it can be walking, jogging, jumping, dancing, baking, gardening, or anything you choose.
- Plan ahead – we would love it if you sent us a video of your version of the walk before the last weekend of May so we can share it on social media and inspire others to get involved.
- Use your Fitbit, smartphone, or step tracker, and create a new category just for the walk. Perhaps you will pledge to walk 10,000 steps in your living room! Log your steps and challenge friends to match your steps using social media. Ask them to tag us as well!
- Dress up your dog, or your child, or yourself and video yourself being active. Show the world a preview of how you’ll be “walking” at home on May 30 and challenge your friends to do the same!
- Do a funny Monty Python-esque walk around your home, and challenge your friends to top it.
- Create an obstacle course or do a funky dance in your home, then share it as a video online on social media.
- Challenge your friends to see who can climb the most stairs.
- Your dog can help fundraise, too! Take it out for extra walks!
- Record a personal message of support, let us know why you will be walking, and pledge your support in a simple video.
- Just simply put on your shoes on May 30 and walk!
The funds you raise through the Walk allow us to deliver vital programs and services for over 46,000 Albertans and Northwest Territorians living with dementia who depend on them. The awareness you help us spread is critically important – so many people are still living with dementia and are struggling to adapt to the new normal. The need is greater than ever and your support is even more important.
Now more than ever, social connection – even from a distance – is critically important for people with dementia and their care partners. Alzheimer Societies across Canada continue to deliver programs and services to those who depend on them and where necessary, will modify services through online opportunities. Walk with us and show you care!
Stay tuned for more exciting details and fundraising ideas!