It’s summer time, woo-hoo! Nobody does summer as enthusiastically as we Albertans, am I right?
School is about to be out and it’s time to start doing fun family stuff all summer long. If you’re looking for a great summer experience in the East of Edmonton region, we’ve got you covered!
Here are ten suggestions to get you started:
- Fishing! Make the rounds throughout the region every weekend until you find your favorite fishing spot. Take a picnic lunch with you and you’ve got a very cheap way to spend some great quality time together. You can also check our camping page for some great locations to try out.
- Spend a day, weekend or longer at Elk Island Retreat. This is an excellent location to go camping with your kids if you’re interested in giving them more exposure to Canada’s Aboriginal culture. Four tipis are tucked into the wooded campground and there are regularly scheduled Aboriginal Cultural Programs throughout the camping season.
- Speaking of culture, Alberta has a rich Ukrainian heritage, especially so in the Edmonton and east region. If you’re interested in having your kids learn more about the Ukrainian culture, take them to the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village along Highway 16, east of Sherwood Park.
- On the topic of Ukrainian culture, Babas and Borshch, the much anticipated annual event that celebrates Ukrainian culture with gusto is slated to happen August 20 – 21. You will enjoy free admission to the event as well as a free bowl of borshch. Lots of kids activities will be incorporated throughout the weekend.
- Take your kids to the fast approaching Hairy Hill Rodeo, happening July 8 – 9 in Hairy Hill. A draw for a free kids’ bike will be happening on both days! Come for the fun, possibly leave with a brand new set of wheels for your lucky son or daughter.
- Later in July, come out to the Vermilion Agricultural Fair – the must attend affair for the East of Edmonton region. Chuckwagon races, midway, grandstand shows, livestock shows and more! July 28 – 30; come for a day or the entire weekend.
- Do you have a music lover in the family? A great event to take the whole family to this summer is the annual Come By the Hills Music Festival in Wainwright. A kids’ activity centre will be set up for opening night and the first performance on Saturday is the beloved Peter Puffin’s Whale Tales. Bring your camping gear and fall asleep under the stars to the sound of world class performances.
- Head over to the Strathcona Wilderness Centre for a picnic, hike or to take part in any of the various fun recreation programs and activities throughout the summer.
- Riverdale Mini-Park, north of Wainwright, is a fabulous family relaxation destination. Stay for some family camping and enjoy playing mini-golf with the kids and have picnics in the midst of the beautiful scenery.
- Do your kids love the great outdoors and hiking? Elk Island National Park is where you want to take them this summer. Bring the hiking gear and camera and start hiking. Watch for buffalo and other wildlife as you enjoy a great in the beautiful East of Edmonton outdoors.
So there you have just a few ideas to get you started on the best summer yet!
Let us know if you are planning to use any of these ideas in your summer plans. Don’t forget to take lots of photos and enter them into our Photo Contest – you could be the winner of some cash prizes!