Cross Country Skiing
Nordic Skiing Spots East of Edmonton
Elk Island National Park
National & Provincial - Parks & Designated Trails
- 100 km at Elk Island National Park
- 26 km at Long Lake Prov. Park north of Waskatenau. Through the Park you can also access the White Earth Valley - 17 km of trails, excellent for mountain biking on its backcountry rolling hills. Also accessible at Twp. Rd. 620 & Rg. Rd. 190.
- Vermilion Provincial Park is the hometown of x-country skiing Olympic Gold Medalist Beckie Scott. Enjoy 15 km of groomed trails. Contact Vermilion Nordic Ski Club at 780-853-5985.
- 20 km at Miquelon Lake Prov. Park south of Tofield
- 35 km at Whitney Lakes Prov. Park east of Elk Point.
- 6 km at Garner Lake Prov. Rec. Area
- 13.5 km at Cold Lake Prov. Park
- Near Lac La Biche, 45 km at Lakeland Prov. Rec. Area
- 8 km at Sir Winston Churchill Prov. Park
- 10 km at Big Knife Prov. Park near Forestburg
- 10 km at Dilberry Lake Prov. Park near Chauvin
- Over 50 km from Fort Saskatchewan heading north on the Athabasca Landing Trail
Cooking Lake/Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area
4 staging areas that act as trailheads within the 97 sq km of total trail network for hiking, cycling, equestrian, dog sledding, snowshoeing, skating, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing (100 km groomed trails, 60 km non-groomed). Host site of the Canadian Birkebeiner.
Strathcona Wilderness Centre
Rent complete x-country ski and snowshoe equipment for all ages. Ski lessons are available along with waxing services, food concession and lounge area. 12 km of groomed & track set trails. 16 km E of Sherwood Park.
Travel IdeasCome for the Cross Country Skiing, stay for the Adventure. Travel itineraries to help make a memorable trip.
A sample of regional attractions to add to your fishing trip