The crisp winter air…The gorgeous scenery…There’s plenty to enjoy and experience when you venture East of Edmonton. This year, we can’t wait to show you all of the incredible places in our special region. Read on for more than 10 ways to start your 2023 year on an adventure-filled way.
Embrace the Night Hours and See the Northern Lights
At this time of year, conditions are optimal for stargazing and the beautiful night lights. With no artificial lighting; Dark Sky Preserves are important places that help protect our night sky. Venture out of the city to these prime spots and be amazed by the natural beauty.
Beaver Hills Dark Sky Preserve – The first established Dark Sky Preserve in Alberta and encompassing, Elk Island National Park, neighbouring Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area and Miquelon Lake Provincial Park, each of these sites in this 300 sq km area offer spectacular opportunities to see the natural sky.
Bon Accord – Just a half hour drive from Edmonton on HWY 28, Bon Accord is one of the few places you can see the stars so clearly while still being so close to civilization, to become known as Canada’s first dark sky “community”.
Lakeland Provincial Park – Just outside Lac La Biche, you’ll find this great place to get truly remote. It’s a win-win as you watch a spectacular northern sunset as you wait for the natural light show to shine. Nearby, at Sir Winston Churchill Provincial Park, stay in comfort in a fully furnished cabin, complete with a deck and campfire area.
Be amazed at the night adventures possible!
Winter Wonderland Adventures
Go in the snow and enjoy winter adventures in January, whatever your preference! We’ve included a variety of ways you can make the most out of winter, so start planning your winter adventures.
1. There’s plenty of fun awaiting you outdoors. Pick your activity, find travel ideas and more to enjoy with our Must Do Winter Experiences.
2. Strap on some snowshoes, break out the fishing tents, or check out some fun seasonal events – there are plenty of winter adventures to keep you out and about, all winter long.
3. Hit the Slopes – adventure awaits you at 5 uncrowded, full-of-snow resorts, ski hills and tubing parks. Take your pick and have fun going downhill.
4. Immerse yourself and experience this top Indigenous Tourism site at Métis Crossing – a truly world class place that showcases Métis culture and history. Book your winter experience now!
5. Take it X-country – Maybe you like the horizontal style of skiing. That’s ok! Enjoy trails suitable for all ski levels of classic technique, as well as skijoring (skiing with dogs or horses)!
|You are invited to join the Canadian Birkebeiner winter fun this February 10-27, 2023! Get outdoors, get active and embrace winter! Join the fun recreational and competitive cross country ski events.…as well as lots of Nordic Fun for the whole family! Click to learn more and to register!|
6. Get hooked on ice fishin’ – fishing in the winter is far more exciting than just sitting next to a hole in the ice. These days, the sport has modern perks like heated portable huts, GPS units and improved tactics for catching your trophy.
7. Head out on a sledding trip – Enjoy over 500 km of groomed and scenic regional trails. Bring your snowmobile or rent one to make tracks!
Catch up on our Latest Winter Adventure Stories…
We have over 100 stories of great places to experience. Our Trip Ideas are a great source for planning all your adventures. Search for an article by season, activity, or category. Whether you want to go to Bonnyville, or Bon Accord, Camrose to Cold Lake, or elsewhere, adventure awaits wherever you choose to visit!
Click here to receive these stories to your inbox
Winter Festivals and Other Fun Events…
Looking for Family Fun… check out our Events Calendar for Winter festivals, Snowmobile rallies, and events. Keep a close eye – we have events being added every week!
Staycation this Winter…
If you’re needing a getaway, you’re in luck! Some of the best and most unique accommodations across Alberta can be found east of Edmonton. Look for your next Place to Stay!
2022 Go East of Edmonton Photo Contest Winners
We are pleased to announce our winners for the 2022 Go East of Edmonton Photo Contest! Thank you to everyone who participated and a BIG congratulations to all of the winners! Each winner was awarded $100 sponsored by The Marketer – publishers of the Go East of Edmonton Travel Guide and Go East Regional Tourism Organization. To see all the winning photos, click here.
BEST EVENT Photo #1 – Cold Lake Bullarama by Sharon Taylor Photography
BEST LAND ADVENTURE Photo – Golfing at Mannville Riverview Golf Course by Janna McLaughlin
BEST WILDLIFE Photo – Soaring Bald Eagle by Linda J. Long
We can’t wait to see your submissions this year! Use the hashtag #goeastofedmonton for inspiration.
Looking for more Trip Ideas in 2023?
- Follow us on Facebook where we’re sharing all the Great Winter Activities and local Shopping ideas every week!
- Videos – Be inspired to Go East of Edmonton
- Guess what? We’re on Tiktok! Follow both our account Go East of Edmonton and hashtag #goeastofedmonton for all the best roadtrips and fun things to do this year
- Call us at 1-888-632-8755 or email firstname.lastname@example.org