Village of EdgertonTHE FRIENDLY OASIS
Edgerton & Community Golf Course is one of the best nine-hole grass green courses for miles around. The course features impeccably groomed grass greens and beautifully treed fairways.
Edgerton Town Office
Office Address: 5017 - 50th Avenue, Edgerton, Alberta
EDGERTON - CELEBRATING A CENTURY
Like many Prairie towns, Edgerton was birthed from the building of railways into the West, with 1908 marking the year of the village's inception. It was officially incorporated on September 11, 1917. Edgerton celebrated their Centennial August 2017.
Since the beginning, Edgerton has been a warm and citizen-focused community – eventually leading to its modern-day slogan, 'The Friendly Oasis'. Currently, Edgerton is home to approximately 400 people but through the years many people have lived here and, according to Mayor Barb Sjoquist, it is a common theme for past residents to still consider Edgerton home.
A number of citizens, both past and present, have gone on to contribute in meaningful ways in their fields both near and far. Among them were Hugo Viewegar and Ethel Bullymore. Hugo Viewegar was a prominent artist, not only within the Edgerton region, but also being recognized for his pioneering use of a new and rare autochrome process to capture colour in his photographs. In fact, Viewegar was one of the only photographers in all of western Canada to use the autochrome technique. You can see many of his most prominent works proudly displayed in Edgerton's museum. Ethel Bullymore is a name that is familiar to Edgertonians. She was a woman who arrived in the village in the early 1900's and proceeded to become the resident midwife and all-around community activist. She helped birth more than 1,000 babies during her life; babies who became known as “bully babies” – often being fondly referred to by this moniker even to this day.
These children were schooled in the Edgerton School, the initial building being just one room that could accommodate up to 60 students and opened in 1910. Church also played an important role in the community with the Methodist Order constructing the first religious buildings in 1911. Today, this is the site of the Faith United Church building, constructed in 1966.
Celebrating 100 years was a reflective labour and the Centennial Celebration highlighted the history of Edgerton, but the village is proud of the organizations and the people that continue to contribute and add their voice. The community is built on the strength and the passion of its residents and the groups they represent and this speaks to the ‘Always Home’ theme.